Trusted technology news from around the web from many reliable sources.
You might say the week is never really done in consumer technology news. Your workweek, however, hopefully draws to a close at some point. This is the Weekly Roundup on Engadget, a quick peek back at the top headlines for the past seven days -- all handpicked by the editors here at the site. Click on through the break, and enjoy.
We now know how Neil Young plans to make his dreams of high-quality digital music come true: crowdfunding. The artist's company PonoMusic is launching a Kickstarter campaign on March 15th that will let you reserve the PonoPlayer, Young's long-teased, audiophile-grade portable jukebox. The 128GB device will set you back a whopping $399 when it goes on sale (less with the Kickstarter discount), but its creators are promising audio fidelity worthy of the price tag.
NASA is still trying to find out, discovering evidence of water in a Martian meteorite just over a week ago. But though scientists are happy to investigate meteorites and live vicariously through robotic rovers roaming the Red Planet, they're really itching to get their hands on samples scooped right off the Martian surface to analyze here at home. Now, a team at NASA believes they can do so cost-effectively, as soon as 2022, by relying on commercial spaceflight provider SpaceX for a little help. Back in 2011, NASA proposed using a modified SpaceX Dragon capsule — dubbed Red Dragon — to deliver equipment to the Martian surface as a landing craft.
- Technology News: Neil Young's high-fidelity iPod competitor will cost $399
- Technology News: Mt. Gox CEO's blog hacked, database leak claims there should be a 951k Bitcoin balance
- Technology News: Korea's quirky messaging apps go on offensive in text-happy Indonesia
- Technology News: Loss of employees on Malaysia flight a blow, U.S. chipmaker says
- Technology News: 23andMe's Anne Wojcicki envisions the future of preventative medicine
- Technology News: Fujitsu's latest all-in-ones don't need to be turned off
- Technology News: Lyft assembles massive funding round to take on Uber
- Technology News: This is how supercomputers cook: IBM’s Watson dreams up creative dishes
- Technology News: IBM's Watson supercomputer learns how to cook
- Technology News: Liam Neeson issues 'Taken'-style threat to Vladimir Putin on 'SNL'
- Technology News: Cosmos debuts tonight with a special message from Barack Obama
- Technology News: Google is finally getting serious about wearables
- Technology News: Android lead says wearable developer tools coming in two weeks
- Technology News: 'Cosmos' review: making science cool again
- Technology News: Medium to launch reading app for iPhone this week
- Technology News: Fujitsu's palm-scanning laptops won't be fooled by severed limbs
- Technology News: MSI gaming laptop packs next-gen NVIDIA graphics and '3K' display into Ultrabook thickness
- Technology News: The best writing of the week, March 9
- Technology News: Marvel experiments with audio in comics
- Technology News: Gadget Rewind 2004: Motorola RAZR V3